Re: PG-Git usernames

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: PG-Git usernames
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 16:09, Gurjeet Singh <singh.gurjeet@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 10:00 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 15:50, Gurjeet Singh <singh.gurjeet@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > I hope this is the right forum to talk about git.postgresql.org
>> >
>> > My community login is singh.gurjeet, but our setup seems to not like the
>> > special character there; users/singh.gurjeet/postgres is rejected.
>> >
>> > Would it be a problem if I requested users/gsingh/postgres ? I hope that
>> > doesn't cause any trouble with gitweb or anything. Or can it be allowed
>> > have the preiod character there?
>>
>> That should be fine. I'm sure we could adapt the software to allow
>> periods, but there is no tie between the directory and the username,
>> so you can just use that. Or just "singhgurjeet" without the period.
>>
>> Or you could just use github which gives you more features at the
>

>> same cost ;)
>
> I like their competitive pricing :) which is why I created a
> postgres/postgres fork there and started patching while waiting for this
> one.

:-)

> I was assuming that having a fork here at git.pg and then referring people
> to my branches would be more convenient than asking them to check them out
> on github. Any merits/demerits you see with github?

Not really.

On the web interface, the github one provides better functionality -
for example the compare view which is a lot better than gitweb on
git.postgresql.org, particularly when checking work-in-progress
patches, IMHO.

On the git side of things, they both support the same thing - if
someone wants to merge your patch they can just add it the remote and
fetch, regardless of if it's in the github or git.pg.org repository.

Personally, I don't see any advantage at all of git.postgresql.org
over github for a development repository. Others may have different
opinions, of course.

For a *primary* repository, there can certainly be reasons. Which is
why for example pgadmin3 has the main repository on git.postgresql.org
- but the developers who use public repos (for example Guillaume -
http://github.com/gleu) use github.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/