Re: Progress indication prototype

От Thom Brown
Тема Re: Progress indication prototype
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 18 August 2010 13:45, Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 11:29 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>> Which is ideal for monitoring your own connection - having the info in
>> the pg_stat_activity is also valuable for monitoring and system
>> administration. Both would be ideal :-)
>
> Hm, I think I've come around to the idea that having the info in
> pg_stat_activity would be very nice. I can just picture sitting in
> pgadmin while a bunch of reports are running and seeing progress bars
> for all of them...
>
> But progress bars alone aren't really the big prize. I would really
> love to see the explain plans for running queries.

Do you mean just see the explain plan?  Or see at what stage of the
plan the query has reached?  I think the latter would be awesome.  And
if it's broken down by step, wouldn't it be feasible to knew how far
through that step it's got for some steps?  Obviously for ones with a
LIMIT applied it wouldn't know how far through it had got, but for
things like a sequential scan or sort it should be able to indicate
how far through it is.

--
Thom Brown
Registered Linux user: #516935