Re: querying the version of libpq

От Dmitriy Igrishin
Тема Re: querying the version of libpq
Дата
Список pgsql-general

2010/10/14 Massa, Harald Armin <chef@ghum.de>
Dmitriy,

Again, I suggest PQlibVersion() or PQversion() instead of PQlibpqVersion().

Why this "pq" redundancy in name? Waste of bytes.

the first PQ qualifies the name-space "those are PostgresQl functions".
the library is called libpq, and we are explicitly asking for the version of libpq; not of any other library that may or may not be connected with libpq
If "PQ" is "namespace", so PQlibVersion() will never conflict with other libraries.

(in some compilations there is linkage to some system libraries, which have versions of their own. in other implementations there are wrappers around the libpq-libraray, which have their own version to. Oh, and there is open-ssl which may be mixed into  the whole party)

So 2 bytes of source-code / linker redundancy in times where smartphones sport 12Gigabyte should be payed....

I don't worry about source-code or linker. I want correctness.
Why libpq does not have PQlibpqConnect() ? How about other libraries linked to libpq ?
Waste of bytes.

Harald
--
GHUM GmbH