Re:

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re:
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 10:00 PM, andi astowo <andi.astowo@ymail.com> wrote:
> Well, that's a pretty big step up.  Are you running 7.0, 7.1, 7.2,
> 7.3, or 7.4?  Do you want to go to 8.0, 8.1, 8.2, 8.3 or 8.4?
>
> We are running at 7.1 and to go to 8.3.
>
> The normally recommended procedure is to bring up a new machine while
> leaving the old one up.  So, you'll have a new machine running RHEL
> 5.latest with PostgreSQL 8.4.4.  Your old machine would be running
> whatever old 7.x version you have.  Then you would use pg_dump from
> the 8.4.4 postgresql install to dump the db from the 7.x db.
> Something like this:
>
> We are sorry but our Postgre 8.3 is bundled with our new RHEL 5. So that how
> can we change from 8.3 to 8.4.4? Thank You Very Much

You can run 8.3 and you should be just fine.  If you run into issues
trying to dump 7.1 with the pg_dump from 8.3 and then restoring to
8.3, you might have to install an intermediate postgresql version
(7.4, 8.0, 8.1, or 8.2) and see if they can then be used to dump and
restore the 7.1 database.  Best of luck, hollar if you get stuck.