Re: Problem with triggers

От Sid
Тема Re: Problem with triggers
Дата
Список pgsql-general

2010/6/16 Adrian von Bidder <avbidder@fortytwo.ch>
Heyho!

On Wednesday 16 June 2010 00.56:14 Adrian Klaver wrote:
> > My question is: why do I get information about too long value before
> > trigger fires?
> > Can I change this behavior?

I firmly feel friendly error messages like this firmly beong into the
application and not into the DB.  Next thing you'll want translated messages
as well, and your triggers become so complex that you don't wnat to maintain
them ...

My plan was to keep as much as possible of the application logic on the database side.
Triggers were not so complex, because I used one trigger function for many tables (http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PL/pgSQL_Dynamic_Triggers),so printing user friendly information about null values was just one line.

> The database is beating you to the validation.

With triggers.  A question to the experts: Couldn't this, in theory, be
implememnted within the rules system?  From what I understand they are run
right after the query is parsed; I'd expect data validation to come a bit
later.  Not sure if this is right.

cheers
-- vbi

--