Re: postgres crash SOS

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: postgres crash SOS
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 4:51 PM, Felde Norbert <fenor77@gmail.com> wrote:
> The first error message was what I got after postgres crashed and I
> tried to make a dump, run vacuum or tried somthing else.
> The second message I got when I tried to repaire the problem, so it
> dous not matter because I did something wrong i see.
>
> If I could choose I would use a linux server too, but if the partner
> sais there is a windows server and you have to use that than there is
> no discuss.
>
> Why I was not specific how to this state came is I do not know.
> I could not find anything about a power failer and disk space seemed
> to be more than needed. There was entries in log for full virtual
> memory.

This came before the crash?  Are you sure the server didn't reset
following the virtual memory full?

Memory full is a very dangerous condition for a database server and
may have contributed to your problem or been a symptom of another
problem.  The main things we need to know (any data corruption issue
is worth trying to diagnose after the fact) are:

*) what is the setting for fsync?
*) Are you using a raid controller?  how is the cache configured?
*) If not, is your drive configured to buffer writes?
*) How much free space is left on your various volumes on the computer?

Did you check the system event log for interesting events at or around
the time you saw virtual memory full.  Can we see the log message
reporting memory full condition as well as surrounding messages?

merlin