Re: profiling connection overhead

От Jeff Janes
Тема Re: profiling connection overhead
Дата
Re: profiling connection overhead  (Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 11/28/10, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> In a close race, I don't think we should get bogged down in
> micro-optimization here, both because micro-optimizations may not gain
> much and because what works well on one platform may not do much at
> all on another.  The more general issue here is what to do about our
> high backend startup costs.  Beyond trying to recycle backends for new
> connections, as I've previous proposed and with all the problems it
> entails,

Is there a particular discussion of that matter you could point me to?

> the only thing that looks promising here is to try to somehow
> cut down on the cost of populating the catcache and relcache, not that
> I have a very clear idea how to do that.  This has to be a soluble
> problem because other people have solved it.

Oracle's backend start up time seems to be way higher than PG's.
Their main solution is something that is fundamentally a built in
connection pooler with some bells and whistles built in.   I'm not
sure "other people" you had in mind--Oracle is generally the one that
pops to my mind.

> To some degree we're a
> victim of our own flexible and extensible architecture here, but I
> find it pretty unsatisfying to just say, OK, well, we're slow.

What about "well OK, we have PGbouncer"?  Are there fixable
short-comings that it has which could make the issue less of an issue?

Cheers,

Jeff