Re: resizing a varchar column on 8.3.8

От Jon Hoffman
Тема Re: resizing a varchar column on 8.3.8
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

I was able to do this without any issues, though I don't have any views.

- Jon

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 9:52 AM, Emi Lu <emilu@encs.concordia.ca> wrote:
On 01/15/2011 04:22 PM, Jon Hoffman wrote:
Hi,

I found a post with some instructions for resizing without locking up
the table, but would like to get some re-assurance that this is the best
way:

http://sniptools.com/databases/resize-a-column-in-a-postgresql-table-without-changing-data

How does that affect data storage and future updates on existing rows?

I did not see any feedbacks about this topic.

I need confirmation that it is safe to do this! Personally, I feel that it is specially useful when there are many view dependencies. Update from data dictionary, all views will be updated automatically, right?

Thanks a lot!
--
Lu Ying