Re: Typing Records

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Typing Records
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 11:32 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> I think it wouldn't take too much code to defend against this in
> transformArrayExpr, but I'm a tad worried about whether there are
> similar cases elsewhere.  The generic problem is that we suppose that
> different values are compatible if they have the same type OID, but
> for RECORD types that's really not true.

We've argued about this before: it's not really true for array types
either.  A one-dimensional array is not the same type as a
two-dimensional array, but we treat it that way because bloating
pg_type by a factor of seven is even less appealing than bloating it
by a factor of two.  And then there are other kinds of types people
might want to define: hashes, sets, functions, etc.  This shoe is
going to rub for so long as we keep wearing it.

Nevertheless, there's not much hope of better than a localized fix for
this particular bug.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Сообщение: Re: EXPLAIN doesn't show the actual function expression for FunctionScan
Сообщение: Re: EXPLAIN doesn't show the actual function expression for FunctionScan