Re: Inconsistent time interval formatting

От Allen Chen
Тема Re: Inconsistent time interval formatting
Дата
Re: Inconsistent time interval formatting
Список pgsql-general

That won't really help.  The fundamental point here is that '1 day' is
not the same concept as '24 hours', because of DST changes; and the
interval type treats them as different.

If you don't care about that, you can use justify_hours (I think that's
the right function) to smash them to the same thing.

But I suspect the OP's real complaint would be better solved by use of
to_char() to produce an output format that includes zeroes instead of
dropping fields that are zero.

                       regards, tom lane

Hi Tom,

I don't understand how DST changes matter for a time interval or how that could even be factored into calculations.  Could you elaborate on that?  I had a query today that returned an interval of 70:23:06.935933.  Wouldn't that be at least two days regardless of DST?

Thanks for shining the light on justify_hours, though.  I did not know that function existed.  That does give me a way to have consistent output for reporting.

Thanks to everyone who replied!

-Allen