Re: Why can't I change a password

От Dmitriy Igrishin
Тема Re: Why can't I change a password
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hey Steve,

2011/1/16 Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com>
Hi all,

I've somehow messed up something.

psql super
psql's synopsis is
       psql [option...] [dbname [username]]
Thus, the call "psql super" connects psql to a database
"super" but since username unspecified it is connected
with current Unix user (which is returned by whois(1)).

So, you should call psql like that
  psql super super
or like that
  psql -U super
In last case psql will be connected to the database "super".

psql (8.4.5)
Type "help" for help.

super=> \du+
                  List of roles
 Role name | Attributes  | Member of | Description
-----------+-------------+-----------+-------------
 bobo      |             | {}        |
 junk      |             | {}        |
 myuid     |             | {}        |
 postgres  | Superuser   | {}        |
          : Create role
          : Create DB
 slitt     | Create DB   | {}        |
 super     | Superuser   | {}        |
          : Create role
          : Create DB

super=>
super=> alter user myuid password 'mypass';
ERROR:  permission denied
super=>

I don't get it. User super is listed as attributes Superuser, create role and
createdb, so why the lack of permission? This also happened when I was in as
"postgres".

Interestingly, earlier tonight I was changing passwords just fine. I don't
know what happened. Obviously there's a chunk of information I'm missing.

What diagnostic tests can I do to narrow this down?

Thanks

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package