pg_subtrans keeps bloating up in the standby

От Fujii Masao
Тема pg_subtrans keeps bloating up in the standby
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

I received the off-list email reporting that pg_subtrans keeps bloating up
in the standby, from Harald (Thanks!). I investigated this issue and found
that the standby doesn't truncate pg_subtrans at all even though HS keeps
extending it. In the master, a checkpoint calls TruncateSUBTRANS() and
truncate old pg_subtrans entries, but in the standby, a restartpoint doesn't
do that. And I found the following comment in CreateRestartPoint():
/* * Currently, there is no need to truncate pg_subtrans during recovery. If * we did do that, we will need to have
calledStartupSUBTRANS() already * and then TruncateSUBTRANS() would go here. */

I'm not sure why there is no need to truncate pg_subtrans during recovery.
To fix the issue, we should make a restartpoint call TruncateSUBTRANS().
Thought?

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao