Re: On Scalability

От Vincenzo Romano
Тема Re: On Scalability
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
2010/10/7 Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>:
> * Vincenzo Romano (vincenzo.romano@notorand.it) wrote:
>> I see the main problem in the way the planner "understands" which partition
>> is useful and which one is not.
>> Having the DDL supporting the feature could just be syntactic sugar
>> if the underlying mechanism is inadequate.
>
> I'm pretty sure the point with the DDL would be to have a way for the
> user to communicate to the planner more understanding about the
> partitioning, not just to be syntactic sugar.  With that additional
> information, the planner can make a faster and better decision.
>
>        Stephen

Which kind of information are you thinking about?
I think that the stuff you put into the CHECK condition for the table
will say it all.
Infact there you have not just the column names with relevant values, but the
actual expression(s) to be checked,

--
Vincenzo Romano at NotOrAnd Information Technologies
Software Hardware Networking Training Support Security