Re: disappearing data

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: disappearing data
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 12:12, Garry Saddington
<garry@schoolteachers.co.uk> wrote:
> We have had a problem with postgresql 8.3 on a Windows server 2008. I wonder
> whether there has been any other experiences like this. We have connected to
> Potsgres from Zope via a Psycopg adapter and noticed that sometimes when
> data is inserted via a form in Zope, the data is available in Zope but
> doesn't get committed to the database. This has come to a head over the
> weekend where at least one month's worth of data has disappeared and this
> includes changes to the actual database structure - luckily only on a
> testing machine, but concerning nevertheless.
> The data seemed to disappear after we upgraded to the most recent version of
> Zpsycopg2 database adapter, previously we were using version 1 (I know it's
> old, we are only testing after all) and have never had these sorts of
> problem before. It's almost as if all the data and changes to the db were
> held in memory, and Postgres continued to work fine from there, but when the
> db adapter was changed and Zope restarted everything was cleared from
> memory.
> Has anyone had similar experinces or can anyone cast any light on where the
> problem may lie. To us it seems the db adapter is the most likely candidate
> but we can't understand how this could happen, explanations also welcome.

I don't know anything about Zope, but it sounds like the db adapter
opens a transaction and never commits it. Perhaps the previous version
was working in autocommit mode by default, and the new one doesn't.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/