Re: patch: to_string, to_array functions

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: patch: to_string, to_array functions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 8:14 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/7/21 Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>:

>>> But is it really bad enough to introduce custom versions of every
>>> function that might want to do this sort of thing?
>
> please look on http://www.mail-archive.com/pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org/msg151475.html
>
> I am not alone  in opinion so current string to array functions has
> not good design

OK, I stand corrected, although I'm not totally convinced.  I still
think to_array() and to_string() are not a good choice of names.  I am
not sure if we should reuse the existing names (adding a third
parameter) or pick something else, like array_concat() and
split_to_array().

Also, should we consider putting these in contrib/stringfunc rather
than core?  Or is there enough support for core that we should stick
with doing it that way?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company