Re: Sync Rep v17

От Daniel Farina
Тема Re: Sync Rep v17
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 4:06 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> Well, good news all round.
>
> v17 implements what I believe to be the final set of features for sync
> rep. This one I'm actually fairly happy with. It can be enjoyed best at
> DEBUG3.

I've been messing with this patch and am wondering if this behavior is expected:

I've been frobbing the server around (I was messing around with the
syncrep feature, but do not know if this is related just yet), and
came upon a case I do not expect: it would appear that prior to
establishing a connection to do streaming replication, the "startup
process" (which is recovering) is very slowly catching up (or so it
would be indicated by txid_current_snapshot()) and eating up enormous
amounts of memory, such as 6GB at a time in RES,  monotonically
increasing. Furthermore, the incrementation of the txid_snapshot is
very slow, and it doesn't seem like I'm coming close to making full
use of my resources: cpu and block devices are not very busy.  There
may have been a brief spurt of pgbench activity that would generate
such WAL traffic to replay.

I have not done a hard shutdown to my knowledge, and the server does
allow me to query relatively quickly as a standby.

Looks like I'm about to hit 7+GB. Is there something I'm missing?

--
fdr