Re: Can't take base back up with Postgres 9.0 on Solaris 10

От Thom Brown
Тема Re: Can't take base back up with Postgres 9.0 on Solaris 10
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 28 October 2010 12:42, dan.m.harris <daniel.harris@metaswitch.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm trying to take a base backup of my primary DB ready for copying to my
> standby. I've followed the instructions to configure my postgresql.conf at
> hxxp://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/continuous-archiving.html, but I
> get one of two errors depending on how I try to run the backup:
>
> bash-3.00$ bin/psql -c "SELECT pg_start_backup('basebackup', true)"
> ERROR: function pg_start_backup("unknown", boolean) does not exist
> HINT: No function matches the given name and argument types. You may need to
> add explicit type casts.
> bash-3.00$ bin/psql -c "SELECT pg_start_backup('basebackup')"
> ERROR: WAL archiving is not active
> HINT: archive_command must be defined before online backups can be made
> safely.
>
> Here are the lines I've changed in postgresql.conf:
> listen_addresses = '*' # what IP address(es) to listen on;
> port = 5555 # (change requires restart)
> wal_level = archive # minimal, archive, or hot_standby
> archive_mode = on # allows archiving to be done
> archive_command = 'scp %p
> postgres@172.18.131.211:/postgres/postgres/9.0-pgdg/primary_archive' #
> command to use to archive a logfile segment
> max_wal_senders = 1 # max number of walsender processes
> wal_keep_segments = 32 # in logfile segments, 16MB each; 0 disables

Go into psql and type "SHOW wal_level;"  What does it say?  If it
doesn't say "archive" then you've either not restarted PostgreSQL
since you changed it, or you're looking at the wrong config file.

As for the first error, have you tried just typing that command whilst
in psql rather than passing it as a -c parameter?

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion