two different posgres t for Rails development?

От bitur mail
Тема two different posgres t for Rails development?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello,

I was wondering if there would be a problem using Postgres 8.4 for my Rails development database and Postgres 8.1 for my production database.

8.1 is what is available with my shared web hosting provider, but 8.4 is the support (repo) version for my local Ubuntu machine.

I tried installing 8.1 from source on my local machine but apparently I still need a postgresql-client library that matches the Postgres version, and I can't seem to find that. So if there's no real issue going backward from 8.4 to 8.1, I'd like to just use Ubuntu's supported version for developing my Rails apps locally.

Thanks for any insight,
Derrick