Re: pg_dump directory archive format / parallel pg_dump

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: pg_dump directory archive format / parallel pg_dump
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 04:50, Joachim Wieland <joe@mcknight.de> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 11:46 PM, Itagaki Takahiro
> <itagaki.takahiro@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It might be better to remove Windows-specific codes from the first try.
>> I doubt Windows message queue is the best API in such console-based
>> application. I hope we could use the same implementation for all
>> platforms for inter-process/thread communication.
>
> Windows doesn't support pipes, but offers the message queues to
> exchange messages. Parallel pg_dump only exchanges messages in the
> form of "DUMP 39209" or "RESTORE OK 48 23 93", it doesn't exchange any
> large chunks of binary data, just these small textual messages. The
> messages also stay within the same process, they are just sent between
> the different threads. The windows part worked just fine when I tested
> it last time. Do you have any other technology in mind that you think
> is better suited?

Haven't been following this thread in details or read the code.. But
our /port directory contains a pipe() implementation for Windows,
that's used for the syslogger at least. Look in the code for pgpipe().
If using that one works, then that should probably be used rather than
something completely custom.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/