Re: anti-join chosen even when slower than old plan

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: anti-join chosen even when slower than old plan
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 1:58 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> I wrote:
>> I do think that something based around a settable-per-table caching
>> percentage might be a reasonable way to proceed.
>
> BTW ... on reflection it seems that this would *not* solve the use-case
> Kevin described at the start of this thread.  What he's got AIUI is some
> large tables whose recent entries are well-cached, and a lot of queries
> that tend to hit that well-cached portion, plus a few queries that hit
> the whole table and so see largely-not-cached behavior.  We can't
> represent that very well with a caching knob at the table level.  Either
> a high or a low setting will be wrong for one set of queries or the
> other.

Yeah.  For Kevin's case, it seems like we want the caching percentage
to vary not so much based on which table we're hitting at the moment
but on how much of it we're actually reading.  However, the two
problems are related enough that I think it might be feasible to come
up with one solution that answers both needs, or perhaps two
somewhat-intertwined solutions.

> The most practical solution for his case still seems to be to twiddle
> some GUC or other locally in the maintenance scripts that do the
> full-table-scan queries.  Unfortunately we don't have an equivalent
> of per-session SET (much less SET LOCAL) for per-relation attributes.
> Not sure if we want to go there.

I doubt it.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Сообщение: Re: anti-join chosen even when slower than old plan
Сообщение: Re: anti-join chosen even when slower than old plan