Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Document that a CHECKPOINT before taking a file system snapshot

От Cédric Villemain
Тема Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Document that a CHECKPOINT before taking a file system snapshot
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
2010/11/25 Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>:
> Document that a CHECKPOINT before taking a file system snapshot can
> reduce recovery time.

I didn't follow that on -hackers, but :

* checkpoint take place in the pg_start_backup process (before it
releases the hand, so before you can start snapshoting)

* we used to issue a checkpoint *before* pg_start_backup to reduce
pg_start_backup duration  in case you have wal_archiving turn off and
full_page_write is off, it reduces a bit the IO contention. (or even
if not I hate seing this pg_start_backup taking seconds/minutes to
finish)

How the checkpoint before will reduce recovery time ?