Re: How to recover a postgres installation from files

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: How to recover a postgres installation from files
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 08:44, Craig Ringer <craig@postnewspapers.com.au> wrote:
> On 02/12/10 01:11, Anibal David Acosta wrote:
>
>> So, I don't know how to recover the database from the data directory of a
>> windows postgres 8.1 installation.
>
> You'll need PostgreSQL 8.1 for Windows. This appears to have been
> removed from the FTP site for the well-intentioned reason that, on
> Windows, it's pretty scarily buggy and it's unwise to use anything prior
> to 8.2 on Windows, but people keep on trying to install ancient versions
> for new deployments for some bizarre reason.

Not only is it unwise, but it's fully unsupported...

> Unfortunately, this doesn't consider the needs of anybody who has an
> existing 8.1 database. The 8.1 win32 installers clearly used to be
> hosted by the project, as:

Yeah, that's a good point. They should probably have been moved to
ftp-archives, but I can't find anything there either. (The versions
that are there appear to basically completely random at least for
binary distributions, but there is nothing for win32 in the 8.1
series)

> Does anyone have a copy of the win32 installer for such an ancient
> version kicking around? If so, IMO the most recent 8.1 really needs to
> be on postgresql.org, even if it's within a password-protected folder
> that forces you to type "I don't care if this eats all my data" as the
> password before downloading...
>
> I've CC'd Magnus Hagander as he's listed as the installer maintainer for
> the old msi installers on http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pginstaller .

Yeah, i don't have one of those around. And I don't see any active
buildfarm member building 8.1 on Win32 either (given that it's been
desupported for years, I'm sure), so it's not easy to lift from there.

Nor do I have a build environment around that could build one anymore
- perhaps Dave as something sitting around that could be revived to do
a single build?

Failing that, the OP will just have to build from source himself.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Сообщение: Re: How to recover a postgres installation from files
Сообщение: Re: How to recover a postgres installation from files