Re: hstores in pl/python

От Dmitriy Igrishin
Тема Re: hstores in pl/python
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

2010/12/15 Florian Pflug <fgp@phlo.org>
On Dec15, 2010, at 02:14 , James William Pye wrote:
> On Dec 13, 2010, at 6:16 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> how do you identify which type OID is really hstore?
>
> How about an identification field on pg_type?
>
> CREATE TYPE hstore ..., IDENTIFIER 'org.postgresql.hstore';
> -- Where the "identifier" is an arbitrary string.

+1

I've wanted something like this a few times when dealing
with custom types within a client. A future protocol version
might even transmit these identifiers instead a the type's OID,
thereby removing the dependency on OID from clients entirely.
In some another tread I've proposed CREATE TYPE ... WITH OID...
but it was rejected and was proposed to cache OIDs on client side.
It is right approach, IMO.

But, IMO, comparing strings to determine type for each parameter
is not very good idea because it is not so efficient as comparing
integers, obviously.

best regards,
Florian Pflug