Re: Copying a column into a temp. table

От Gurjeet Singh
Тема Re: Copying a column into a temp. table
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 10:52 AM, Alexander Farber <alexander.farber@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you, I've created the following script which seems to work ok.

I just hope, that it won't be hit by the max_stack_depth-problem
which actually forced me to look for a custom solution -

   SQL ERROR [ postgres ]
   ERROR: stack depth limit exceeded HINT: Increase the configuration
   parameter "max_stack_depth". []

   SQL
   DELETE FROM phpbb_posts WHERE post_id IN (334767, ..skipped.., 382871)

# psql -a -f clean-phpbb-forum.sql
start transaction;
START TRANSACTION
create temp table old_topics (topic_id integer) on commit delete rows;
CREATE TABLE
create temp table old_posts (post_id integer) on commit delete rows;
CREATE TABLE
insert into old_topics select topic_id from phpbb_topics
where forum_id=5 and topic_poster=1 and
age(to_timestamp(topic_time))>interval '14 days';
INSERT 0 14788
-- select count(topic_id) as "old topics:" from old_topics;
insert into old_posts select p.post_id from phpbb_posts p, old_topics t
where p.forum_id=5 and p.poster_id=1 and p.topic_id=t.topic_id;
INSERT 0 73718
-- select count(post_id) as "old posts:" from old_posts;
delete from phpbb_posts where post_id in (select post_id from old_posts);
DELETE 73718
delete from phpbb_topics where topic_id in (select topic_id from old_topics);
DELETE 14788
update phpbb_config set
config_value = (select count(topic_id) from phpbb_topics)
where config_name = 'num_topics';
UPDATE 1
update phpbb_config set
config_value = (select count(post_id) from phpbb_posts)
where config_name = 'num_posts';
UPDATE 1
update phpbb_users set
user_posts = (select count(post_id) from phpbb_posts where poster_id=1)
where user_id = 1;
UPDATE 1
update phpbb_forums set
forum_posts = (select count(post_id) from phpbb_posts),
forum_topics = (select count(topic_id) from phpbb_topics),
forum_topics_real = (select count(topic_id) from phpbb_topics)
where forum_id = 5;
UPDATE 1
commit
COMMIT

Please stay on the list.

With temporary tables you shouldn't be hitting that limit. BTW, what Postgres version are you using? and any rough estimation of how many elements that IN list has in the query that fails?

You could have also done:

   DELETE FROM phpbb_posts WHERE post_id IN (select xyz from mytable where ...)

assuming that inner select would return the list: 334767, ..skipped.., 382871, and avoided creating temp tables altogether.

Regards,
--
gurjeet.singh
@ EnterpriseDB - The Enterprise Postgres Company