Re: Fix for Index Advisor related hooks

От Gurjeet Singh
Тема Re: Fix for Index Advisor related hooks
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 8:24 AM, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
On 11.02.2011 22:44, Gurjeet Singh wrote:
 Looks like the function get_actual_variable_range() was written with the
knowledge that virtual/hypothetical indexes may exist, but the assumption
seems wrong.

One one hand get_actual_variable_range() expects that virtual indexes do not
have an OID assigned, on the other hand explain_get_index_name_hook() is
handed just an index's OID to get its name back; IMHO these are based on two
conflicting assumptions about whether a virtual index will have an OID
assigned.

Attached patch fix_get_actual_variable_range.patch tries to fix this by
introducing a new hook that can help Postgres decide if an index is
fictitious or not.

The new hook takes an index oid as argument, so I gather that you resolved the contradiction by deciding that fictitious indexes have OIDs. How do you assign those OIDs? Do fictitious indexes have entries in pg_index?

No, a fictitious index does not touch pg_index. The  Index Advisor uses GetNewOid(pg_class) to generate a new OID for the fictitious index.

An OID is the only way we can identify one fictitious index from the list of all the others fictitious ones when explain_get_index_name_hook() is called. I don't see any other way the Postgres server can ask the for the details of a fictitious index.

Regards,
--
gurjeet.singh
@ EnterpriseDB - The Enterprise Postgres Company