Re: hstores in pl/python

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: hstores in pl/python
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
2010/12/13 Dmitriy Igrishin <dmitigr@gmail.com>:

> 2010/12/13 Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>

>> > In my opinion, hstore is defined and implemented well. Its complete in
>> > most
>> > cases. Therefore hstore is mature enough to be in core.
>> >
>> > On the other hand associative arrays should be implemented from scratch.
>> > Very well. Let it be. But how integration hstore in core today can
>> > interfere
>> > with implementation of support for associative arrays in future ? Is it
>> > will
>> > a big problem ?
>>
>> I think so it can be a problem. Any second implemented feature will
>> have a handicap, because there will be a similar and realised feature.
>> Maybe I am too pessimist, but  there are very minimal probability to
>> common existence two similar features in core like hstore or
>> associative arrays.  And because associative arrays are more general
>> than hstore, I prefer a associative arrays.
>
> Okay. According to
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/arrays.html
> PostreSQL array - collection of values of the same type -- built-in or
> user-defined. Assoc. arrays (maps) are generalized arrays by definition.
> So, maps in PostgreSQL should become a generalizations of an currently
> existing arrays.
> Furthermore, if we speak about generalization, map keys must be arbitrary
> typed. And yes, ordering operator must exists for a key type and so on...
> Otherwise it will be specialized type just for fancy operator[] with
> text argument user "friendly", rather than map.
>
>> Hstore works well and a
>> moving it to core doesn't carry a new value. It's not comparable with
>> TSearch2. What I know, contrib modules are not problem for DBA now and
>> Hstore hasn't a "complex" installation like TSearch2 had. More - there
>> are not a security issues that had to be solved with TSearch2.
>>
>> Why we need a Hstore in core? Why Hstore need be in core?
>
> Well, okay. Could you explain by what formal criterion types become
> built-in ?

No I can't. Please, don't understand to me wrong. Usually I am not
against to enhancing a core features. Just I see a significant risk,
so PostgreSQL will not have a associative arrays ever, so I am talking
about it. If I remember well, then in core are very old types from
academic era and types that are necessary for ansi sql conformance.
All others are controversial - there was a big war about XML, there is
still very unsure JSON. TSearch2 is very specific. Very handy type
like "citext" isn't in core. Significant argument for implementation a
type in core is request on parser support.

This is analogy to intarray contrib module. It's same. I am sure, so
you don't want to use a arrays as was implemented in intarray module.