even after laboriously following previous post, cannot cast from char to int

От Lille Penguini
Тема even after laboriously following previous post, cannot cast from char to int
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Hey,

Re casting char columns to int, I've worked all the proposed solutions from previous post-gres mailing list posts, but to no avail.

None of the ALTER TABLE proposed fixes worked for me, and now I have a new INTEGER type column created, I execute the following:

UPDATE zip_code_data SET county_fips_rev = CAST(county_fips as INTEGER);

...and this is what I get:

ERROR:  invalid input syntax for type numeric: "     "

What is this telling me?

Thanks,

Lille