Re: versioned pl/pgsql functions

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: versioned pl/pgsql functions
Дата
Re: versioned pl/pgsql functions  (Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
2010/9/21 Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com>:
> On Tue, 2010-09-21 at 14:56 -0500, Rhys A.D. Stewart wrote:
>> hey all,
>>
>> I think versioned pl/[pgsql|python|perl|bash|java] functions would be
>> a great addition to 9.1. Imagine that instead of CREATE OR REPLACE
>> FUNCTION you could do CREATE AND VERSION FUNCTION and then all
>> modifications to the function could be versioned so that you could
>> revert/rollback to a specific version of the function a la
>> git/svn...and then you could do diffs and what not so that you
>> wouldn't have to rely on text files which get lost because they were
>> on a tiny jump drive.....
>>

> Hmmm, it seems this could be done relatively simply with the ability to
> put triggers on system catalogs. The tablelog contrib function would
> allow us to do this.

After ten years with stored procedures I am thinking so this is not
too well technique. Much better is writing stored procedures to a file
and using usual tools for file's versioning. We did some tools for
storing a versions inside database, but still we prefer a standard
developer tools - vi or emacs like editor and plain text. The main
problem of procedures maintained inside database is loss of outer
formatting and outer comments. And you cannot to group procedures to
modules. On the other hand - some history can be useful for all
database objects - not only for stored procedures.