Re: ALTER EXTENSION UPGRADE, v3

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: ALTER EXTENSION UPGRADE, v3
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 10:13 AM, Dimitri Fontaine
<dimitri@2ndquadrant.fr> wrote:
>> I don't think we should commit something that for 9.1 that we may need
>> to change incompatibly for 9.2.  If we're not completely happy with
>> it, it gets booted.  Whatever we put in place here is going to be with
>> us for a long, long time.
>
> So, what is it specifically here that you're unhappy with?

I'd like to answer this question, but I have not had enough time to
read through this patch in detail, because there are 97 patches in
this CommitFest.  The point I'm trying to make, however, is
procedural.  We shouldn't commit anything at the very end of a
development cycle that we're not reasonably comfortable we can live
with, because there is not a lot of time to change our minds later.  I
completely believe that an extension upgrade mechanism is a good thing
to have and I'm sympathetic to your desire to get this into 9.1 - but
the fact is that we are very short on time, the prerequisite patch is
not committed yet, and this is a big piece of functionality in a
tricky area which was submitted for the last CommitFest of the cycle
and about which there is not a clear design consensus.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company