RE: [INTERFACES] pgAdmin v6.4.2

От Dave Page
Тема RE: [INTERFACES] pgAdmin v6.4.2
Дата
Список pgsql-interfaces
Hi David,

Thanks. We aim to please!

> However, there is one item that you may want to address.
> While browsing
> through the Schema Tables, if I click on a column name I
> often get an error.
> "Error 3021, No current record."   Perhaps I am doing
> something incorrect.
> The message only occurs when there in NO default value for
> the column.    I
> inspected the ODBC driver CommLog and observed that,  in
> fact, pgadmin  was
> querying  for these default values and was returning an empty
> record sets.
> This does not seem as if it should be considered an error condition.

I'll look into this. I can't seem to reproduce it though, so if you could
send me your CommLog and the c:\pgerr.log file it would be a help.

> If you ever get bored and are looking for something to do,
> here are some ideas.

I always looking to improve pgAdmin. The main constraint seems to be all
this other work my employee seems to (somewhat unreasonably I think!) want
finished.

>     1.  Implement a function and trigger management  tool.
> (I've been really
> getting into this stuff lately.)
>             o  Display all the triggers under each table and
> which events they
> respond to.
>             o  Allow create/drop of triggers.
>             o  Allow create/drop/edit of function - provide
> simple editor
> modify the text of plpgsql code.

This and other things are on the ToDo list at the moment. The problem is
that having never used triggers or functions etc. on any dbms at all, there
is a bit of a learning curve - both in figuring out how the work, and then
in getting the infomation on them from the relevant system tables.

I'll get there eventually...

>             o  Allow the user to document the functions and
> triggers - you
> would probably have to add one ore more helper tables to
> maintain this info.
>
>     2.  Provide a mechanism much like the last item above to
> document tables
> and columns.

I like this idea - and it shouldn't be too difficult to implement quite
quickly.

> I could see a tool like this as being very useful in building
> and managing a
> schema from the ground up.   Nice work.

Thanks. Thats the intention of the program. It's initial design came about
when I started working on some client server apps in VB and decided I was
fed up with modifying the schema via a telnet session!

> Oh, if I sound like I am being a bit liberal with the use of
> YOUR time, my
> apologies.

No problem, I need kicking occasionally!

Regards,

Dave.

--
Dave Page, Network & Systems Manager, The Vale Housing Association Ltd.
dpage@vale-housing.co.uk