Windows XP SP1, PostgreSQL 7.2.4, Cygwin 1.3.22, CygIPC 1.14-1

От Patrick Bakker
Тема Windows XP SP1, PostgreSQL 7.2.4, Cygwin 1.3.22, CygIPC 1.14-1
Дата
Список pgsql-cygwin

If google and mailing lists around the world are correct I'm not alone in finding Cygwin/PostgreSQL to be an extremely frustrating experience. Hopefully somebody here can help.

So after much poking around I eventually determined that the latest Cygwin setup installs experimental Cygwin DLLs and an experimental ipc-daemon2 which PostgreSQL 7.2.4 apparently does not recognize. So I cleared out everything and reinstalled Cygwin choosing the stable version and installed CygIPC 1.14 by hand.

Then to test the IPC portion of things I did:

cygrunsrv --install ipc-daemon --desc "Cygwin IPC Daemon" --path /usr/local/bin/ipc-daemon --termsig INT --shutdown

chmod 777 /tmp
rm -rf /tmp/Multi*

net start ipc-daemon

All goes well.

"ipctest s 20" returns
1 semaphore created

Then to clear out anything I might have changed running the test I did.

net stop ipc-daemon
rm -rf /tmp/Multi*
net start ipc-daemon

Now when I run initdb -D /usr/share/postgresql/data I get the following error:

IpcSemaphoreCreate: semget(key=1, num=17, 03600) failed: function not implemented

So at this point, based on a cryptic hint I read somewhere, I downloaded the latest cygwin snapshot (Sept 1) and manually updated /usr/bin/cygwin1.dll to this version and reran the above.

Same problem.

The only problem I have that is out of place according to the 15 different instruction lists on the web is that I am doing this all under my Patrick username. I successfully created a postgres local user on my XP machine and added it /etc/passwd and gave it permission to log on as a service but I cannot log into the account under Cygwin. My Patrick account is under a VANBELLE domain and I wonder if this has something to do with it (ie. looking for postgres in VANBELLE domain by default?). This only matters though if it is critical to run PostgreSQL as the postgres user which I can't understand why it would be. Additionally the 7.2.4 README for Cygwin says psql can run under any account. Therefore I assumed that initdb can also.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Patrick