Re: Avoiding rewrite in ALTER TABLE ALTER TYPE

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: Avoiding rewrite in ALTER TABLE ALTER TYPE
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Dec 29, 2010, at 10:14 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> +1 for trying to optimize these cases (but maybe after we optimize the
> varchar -> text and varchar(less) -> varchar(more) cases to skip the
> scan altogether).

+1 on getting the obvious cases of varchar and numeric done first; we run into those a lot at work and would be willing
tosponsor work on a patch that makes those operations as fast as just adding a new column.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                   jim@nasby.net