RE: JDBC connection - DB Prep?

От Culberson, Philip
Тема RE: JDBC connection - DB Prep?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Diagnosing your problem is a little more difficult because you are trapping
any exceptions.  It would help narrow the possible causes if you would put a
"ex.printStackTrace();" in the catch clause.  That said, here are a couple
possibilities:

1) Is the postgresql.jar in your CLASSPATH?

2) Have you configured $PGDATA/pg_hba.conf to allow connections from your
client machine?  You would need a line similar to:

host    midterm     123.456.789.01  255.255.255.0 trust
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                     IP of client machine here

3)Are you sure user "bryon" is a valid Postgres user?  You would have had to
either install Postgres as "bryon", or have run the "createuser" script.

Hope some of this helps.

Phil Culberson
DAT Services

-----Original Message-----
From: gauss [mailto:carlga@mail.ohusc.k12.in.us]
Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2000 5:37 AM
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: [GENERAL] JDBC connection - DB Prep?

I have a PGSQL 6.5.2 running on redhat linux and am trying to connect to it
from a remote machine.  I have the DB and table created and can access the
table at the console ("pgsql midterm"  midterm=>).

when I run SimpleExample.class the first three println statments display.
The fourth does not.  I think I have my code right.  How do I verify that
Postgresql is accepting connections.  I can "ping" the machine that
Posgresql is on.

I know that postmaster needs to be started with the -i.  How do I verify
this with the default installation of PGSQL when Linux is installed.  What
else do I need to do to prepare the database for connection through JDBC?

Here is my Java code:

import java.sql.*;

class SimpleExample{
        System.out.println("before the try");
        try
        {
            String url =
"jdbc:postgresql://172.20.50.25/midterm";
            System.out.println("before the Class.forName
statement");
            Class.forName("postgresql.Driver");
            System.out.println("before the Connection
statement");
            Connection myConnection =
DriverManager.getConnection(url, "bryon", "1234");
            System.out.println("Connection is open");

            if (!myConnection.isClosed())
            {myConnection.close();}

        }
        catch (java.lang.Exception ex){}