800 * 600 chops off the bottom of the screen

От James Prichard
Тема 800 * 600 chops off the bottom of the screen
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
Re. "the world is a rosy place again and I am full of enthusiasm"
=======  Glad you are enjoying learning about databases David - I recommend
Joe Celko's books on SQL.

Re. "The screen resolution of 800 * 600 chops off the bottom of the
screen on which columns can be added to a new table"
=======

The window management on Linux is delegated by 'X' to your choice of
'Window Manager'.
It seems likely the Window manager you are using is partly to blame for
the poor layout.

The heavy weight managers KDE and Gnome contain quite a bit of
infrastructure like certain widgets - equivalent to Window's Common
Dialog Boxes and Controls and so applications which target them can make
use of this infrastructure but will become dependent on the standard
libraries.  To be 'at home' under a window manager, an application needs
to follow the idioms, the look and feel - and this is particularly true
for KDE & Gnome which support pluggable look and feel.

There are light-weight Window Managers too such as WindowMaker that
basically decorate the window frame and menus but leave the content for
the application to draw.

Perhaps if you give more detail on the Window Manager you are using, the
pgadmin UI can be tuned a bit.

I tested 800x600 on Windows 2000 Pro, and the New Table dialog box does
fit on screen - just, although it first appears with the buttons
off-screen as David describes.