Re: [HACKERS] Potential data loss of 2PC files

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Potential data loss of 2PC files
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Potential data loss of 2PC files  (Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers

On December 22, 2016 6:44:22 PM GMT+01:00, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 12:39 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>
>wrote:
>> It makes more sense of you mentally separate between filename(s) and
>file contents.  Having to do filesystem metatata transactions for an
>fsync intended to sync contents would be annoying...
>
>I thought that's why there's fdatasync.

Not quite IIRC: that doesn't deal with file size increase.  All this would be easier if hardlinks wouldn't exist IIUC.
It'sbasically a question whether dentry, inode or contents need to be synced.   Yes, it sucks.

Andres