Re: array_length(anyarray)

От Florian Pflug
Тема Re: array_length(anyarray)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Jan9, 2014, at 23:26 , Jim Nasby <jim@nasby.net> wrote:
> On 1/9/14, 11:08 AM, Marko Tiikkaja wrote:

>>> +1. Anything that complains about arrays whose lower bound isn't 1 really
>>> needs a *way* less generic name than array_length().
>>
>> Problem is, if you're operating on an array which could have a lower bound that isn't 1, why would you look at the
lengthin the first place?  You can't access any elements by index, you'd need to look at array_lower().  You can't
iterateover the array by index, you'd need to do  array_lower() .. array_lower() + array_length(), which doesn't make
sense. And then there's the myriad of stuff you can do with unnest() without actually having to look at the length.
Samegoes for multi-dimensional arrays: you have even less things you can do there with only a length.

>> So if we give up these constraints, we also make this function completely useless.
>
> I'm generally opposed to creating code that doesn't support the full featureset of something (in this case,
array_lower()<>1).But in this case I hope we can all agree that allowing the user to set an arbitrary array lower bound
wasan enormous mistake.

No doubt.

> While we might not be able to ever completely remove that behavior, I find the idea of throwing an error to be highly
enticing.

> Plus, as Marko said, this function is pretty useless for non-1-based arrays.

That I doubt, but...

> I do agree that the name is probably too generic for this though.

this one is actually my main complaint. The name needs to very clearly mark such a function as dealing only with a
subsetof all possible arrays. Otherwise we'll just add to the confusion, not avoid it.

best regards,
Florian Pflug

От: Peter Geoghegan
Сообщение: Re: Disallow arrays with non-standard lower bounds
От: David Fetter
Сообщение: Re: Disallow arrays with non-standard lower bounds