Suggestion: Which Binary?

От David Wheeler
Тема Suggestion: Which Binary?
Дата
Re: Suggestion: Which Binary?  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
Re: Suggestion: Which Binary?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Dear PostgreSQL Hackers,

I recently ran into an issue where I was having trouble compiling
PostgreSQL with PL/Perl. Although Mac OS X 10.4 comes with a dynamic
Perl, I long ago compiled my own Perl, which is static. So /usr/bin/
perl was my static Perl, and /usr/bin/perl5.8.6 is the stock Perl.
But of course, PostgreSQL's configure script was just executing
'perl' and finding it in the path, thus getting my static Perl which,
of course, wouldn't work.

I got 'round this by temporarily moving things around:
  rm /usr/bin/perl  ln /usr/bin/perl5.8.6 /usr/bin/perl  ./configure --with-perl  rm /usr/bin/perlo  ln
/usr/local/bin/perl5.8.8/usr/bin/perl

But that's a PITA. I'd much rather have been able to tell configure
*which* perl to use:
  ./configure --with-perl=/usr/bin/perl5.8.6

Would it be possible to add support for an optional argument to the
PL/* options (--with-perl,--with-python, --with-tcl) so that we can
get it to use the correct binary without having to resort to any
shenanigans?

Just an idea.

Thanks!

David