Problem with pg_upgrade (8.4 -> 9.0) due to ALTER DATABASE SET ROLE

От Florian Pflug
Тема Problem with pg_upgrade (8.4 -> 9.0) due to ALTER DATABASE SET ROLE
Дата
Re: Problem with pg_upgrade (8.4 -> 9.0) due to ALTER DATABASE SET ROLE  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi

I've just ran into a problem while upgrading from 8.4 to 9.0.

pg_upgrade aborted during the step "Adding support functions to new cluster" with "ERROR:  permission denied for
languagec" error. Unfortunately, the log didn't include the name of the database where the error occurred, so it took
mea while to figure out that the culprit was a "ALTER DATABASE SET ROLE = <non-superuser>" I had done on one of my
databases,which effectively prevented pg_upgrade from connection with superuser privileges.

While one could argue that this behaviour is perfectly consistent, I believe most users will expect pg_upgrade (and to
alesser extent also pg_dump and pg_restore) to be unaffected by such settings.

Should we provide a way (for super-users only, of course) to skip per-database/per-role settings when connecting?

best regards
Florian Pflug