Recommended Initial Settings

От Campbell, Lance
Тема Recommended Initial Settings
Дата
Список pgsql-performance

I would like to get someone’s recommendations on the best initial settings for a dedicated PostgreSQL server.  I do realize that there are a lot of factors that influence how one should configure a database.  I am just looking for a good starting point.  Ideally I would like the database to reside as much as possible in memory with no disk access.  The current database size of my 7.x version of PostgreSQL generates a 6 Gig file when doing a database dump.

Dedicated PostgreSQL 8.2 Server

Redhat Linux 4.x AS 64 bit version (EM64T)

4 Intel Xeon Processors

20 Gig Memory

Current PostgreSQL database is 6 Gig file when doing a database dump

/etc/sysctl.conf  file settings:

# 11 Gig

kernel.shmmax = 11811160064

kernel.sem = 250 32000 100 128

net.ipv4.ip_local_port_range = 1024 65000

net.core.rmem_default = 262144

net.core.rmem_max = 262144

net.core.wmem_default = 262144

net.core.wmem_max = 262144

postgresql.conf file settings (if not listed then I used the defaults):

max_connections = 300

shared_buffers = 10240MB

work_mem = 10MB

effective_cache_size = 512MB