Installation on Windows XP Home not possible

От Stephen P. Christopher
Тема Installation on Windows XP Home not possible
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Hi all,

After several frustrating hours (all weekend in fact) of trying unsuccessfully to install and run Postgres (version 8.01 binary windows installer from the Postgres ftp site), I have learned that it is not possible, primarily because Micro$oft, in it's infinite wisdom, has disabled all sorts of tools that would otherwise let me adjust user permissions as Postgres requires.

I think it would be extremely prudent and valuable for the Postgres team to note this somewhere, as I haven't been able to find anything at all about it anywhere.  Right in the readme for the windows binary download would be a perfect place.  I was finally able to install it on a windows 2000 machine (it took me all of 10 minutes - oh that I would have tried that sooner instead of stubbornly thinking I could trick XP into letting me do what I wanted....).  This was not the wonderful introduction to Postgres I was hoping for, but we'll see where I can get from here.

Also of note: I have created several databases in Access, and am sick of being limited and ending up with buggy applications.  Also, I have tried PgAccess, but have had no success in getting past the splash screeen.  Interestingly, though, on my windows XP (where I can NOT run Postgres), PgAccess runs like a charm.  :(  Oh well.  If anyone has advice, it would be much appreciated!

Peace,
Step