Re: xml support

От John Gray
Тема Re: xml support
Дата
Список pgsql-general
In article <9sonop$f8k$1@news.tht.net>, "pipo" <pipo@idecnet.com> wrote:

> hi all,
>     recently i have see a discussion about support xml in postgres....
>     and
> someone suggest that it can be done using xerces-c api.
>     Does anyone try to add xml as data type to postgres using xerces?
>     what
> problems did you found? Is it very complicated?

I have done a little work on XML support in Postgres. Postgres (from version
7.1) supports long attribute values, so you can store an entire XML
document in a single column, rather than have to parse it.  I don't see a
real need to add XML as a separate data type becuase I think the text
type should support it well enough.

The routines I contributed use either expat or libxml2 to provide parsing
functions -the libxml2 version also provides proper XPath support so that
you can perform XPath queries on XML documents within the DB. You will
find the code in contrib/xml within the PostgreSQL distribution. The code
is really only intended as an example of how you can easily add such
functions to Postgres -it isn't a full XML DB system!

Regards

John

--
John Gray