Re: Accessing Database files on a "read-only" medium...like a CD.

От Kelly Harmon
Тема Re: Accessing Database files on a "read-only" medium...like a CD.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

> This did work....I was then able to open the database and do queries and
> whatnot.  Trying to insert into the table didn't give any errors...until I
> tried to select the record back out, at which time it started giving me
> errors such as:

Okay...I made a CD of a reasonably sized database....about 100MB in 3
tables.  Then I deleted the original database files from the appropriate
directory and replaced the files with symbolic links to the files on the CD.

THEN I cranked up the modified PostgreSQL code and tried it out and it
worked.  I could run various select statements with no obvious troubles.

SO...it is possible to run a database off of a CD...with a relatively minor
code change.  Though, of course, you have to have to trick Postgres into it.

And Postgres is not very forgiving if it ever figures out that it's been
tricked...that definitely needs to be worked out.

I'm very interested in hearing any other "gotcha's" that y'all may know of.

Thanks!