Re: Joins of data-modifying CTE with the target table

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Joins of data-modifying CTE with the target table
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 4/19/23 08:37, Alex Bolenok wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> This popped up yesterday during a discussion at the Boston PostgreSQL
> group meetup, and Jesper Pedersen had advised that I post it here.
>
> Imagine this setup:
>
> CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS mytable (id BIGSERIAL PRIMARY KEY, value TEXT
> NOT NULL);
>
> WITH    insert_cte AS
>          (
>          INSERT
>          INTO    mytable (value)
>          VALUES  ('test')
>          RETURNING
>                  *
>          )
> SELECT  mytable.*
> FROM    insert_cte
> JOIN    mytable
> USING   (id);
>
> This query will return nothing, even though people would expect it to
> return the newly inserted record.
>
> This is just a minimally reproducible example, in which you can easily
> work around the problem just by getting rid of the join to mytable. But
> during my consulting career, I've seen people try putting together more
> complex queries using the same pattern, and this always comes as a surprise.
>
> I get why it's not working (because the statement is not allowed to see
> the tuples with its own cmin), but I was wondering if it was worth it at
> least to spell it out explicitly in the documentation.
>
> Right now the documentation says:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/queries-with.html#QUERIES-WITH-MODIFYING
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/queries-with.html#QUERIES-WITH-MODIFYING>

>     RETURNING data is the only way to communicate changes between
>     different WITH sub-statements and the main query
>

> which I don't think is covering the JOIN issue (after all, I am using
> the RETURNING clause to communicate with the main query).
>
> Can we please add this example to the documentation? I can do the
> wording if that's something worth adding.

To add to Tom's post.

"
Data-modifying statements in WITH usually have RETURNING clauses (see
Section 6.4), as shown in the example above. It is the output of the
RETURNING clause, not the target table of the data-modifying statement,
that forms the temporary table that can be referred to by the rest of
the query. If a data-modifying statement in WITH lacks a RETURNING
clause, then it forms no temporary table and cannot be referred to in
the rest of the query. Such a statement will be executed nonetheless. A
not-particularly-useful example is:

The sub-statements in WITH are executed concurrently with each other and
with the main query. Therefore, when using data-modifying statements in
WITH, the order in which the specified updates actually happen is
unpredictable. All the statements are executed with the same snapshot
(see Chapter 13), so they cannot “see” one another's effects on the
target tables. This alleviates the effects of the unpredictability of
the actual order of row updates, and means that RETURNING data is the
only way to communicate changes between different WITH sub-statements
and the main query. An example of this is that in

WITH t AS (
     UPDATE products SET price = price * 1.05
     RETURNING *
)
SELECT * FROM products;

the outer SELECT would return the original prices before the action of
the UPDATE, while in

WITH t AS (
     UPDATE products SET price = price * 1.05
     RETURNING *
)
SELECT * FROM t;

the outer SELECT would return the updated data.
"

So the RETURNING temp table is the only thing you have to work on.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Сообщение: Re: Joins of data-modifying CTE with the target table
Сообщение: Re: Joins of data-modifying CTE with the target table