Unable to uninstall postgres from Add/Remove programs

От Jeffrey Ottery
Тема Unable to uninstall postgres from Add/Remove programs
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Running Windows XP Pro. Have been successfully using and deploying
postgres for 2 years.

When I try to Uninstall PostgreSQL 8.3 using Windows Add/Remove
Programs I get this message:

Service "PostgreSQL Database Server 8.3' (pgsql-8.3) failed to start.
Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

I have tried the following:

Created and logged on as various users as members of Administrators
group.
Deleted the 'postgres' user (is this a problem?)
Removed all references to postgres in the registry. Rebooted
Removed the PostgreSQL Service from the service list. (sc delete
pgsql-8.3)
Deleted the whole Postgres 8.3 directory in Program Files.

I have worked on this for 6 hours today to no avail. GRRRR.

Desperate for some suggestions??