Re: database design questions

От hubert depesz lubaczewski
Тема Re: database design questions
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 4/3/06, Ottavio Campana <ottavio@campana.vi.it> wrote:
1) The database I'm going to develop is  a big list with a catalog of
items and I  want to  store subsets  of this  list representing  the
available items in several places.
My idea  is to create the  big table with  all the elements and  then to
create another  table, where each  row holds a pair  (id_item, id_place)
and  thanks to  this create  several views,  joining the  two tables
and selecting the rows with a give id_place.
Do you think it's too heavy? Is there a simpler way to do it?

sorry but i dont understand your description. could you make a small example of this layout?

2) do you think it's possible in  a plpgsql procedure select the name of
a table into a variable and use that variable in the query?

possible, but not really good way. read about 'execute' in plpgsql.

3) faq 4.11.1 says
how can I do it with a INT8 instead of a INT4?

use bigserial instead of serial

depesz