Re: Small run-time pruning doc fix

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Small run-time pruning doc fix
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 08/10/2018 10:22, David Rowley wrote:
> Before 5220bb7533f a note in ddl.sgml used to mention that run-time
> pruning was only implemented for Append. When we got MergeAppend
> support the commit updated this to mention MergeAppend is supported
> too. This is slightly weird as it's not all that obvious what exactly
> isn't supported when we mention:
>
>     <para>
>      Both of these behaviors are likely to be changed in a future release
>      of <productname>PostgreSQL</productname>.
>     </para>
>
> The attached patch updates this to mention that ModifyTable is
> unsupported which I think makes the above fragment make sense again.

     <para>
-     Execution-time partition pruning currently occurs for the
+     Execution-time partition pruning currently only occurs for the
types.
+     It is not yet implemented for the <literal>ModifyTable</literal> node
+     type.
     </para>

Isn't this implied by the preceding paragraph

    Currently, pruning of partitions during the planning of an UPDATE or
DELETE command is implemented using the constraint exclusion method

?

Also, could there be other node types that could benefit from partition
pruning that are not implemented yet?  Not sure we want to mention all
of them.