Re: Stored procedure version control

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: Stored procedure version control
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 6/30/16 9:16 AM, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> It's not really necessary to create version down scripts.  In five
> years of managing complex database environments we've never had to
> roll a version back and likely never will; in the event of a disaster
> it's probably better to restore from backup anyways.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned http://sqitch.org. It makes it very
easy to manage migrations, as well as creating downgrade scripts (if you
use rework, and put each object into it's own file).

I do agree that down scripts are pretty over-rated as long as you have
good test practices (as in, database unit tests). In 9 years in an
environment where downtime was 6 figures per hour I only had 1 or 2
deployments that had problems, and never bad enough to consider reverting.
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)   mobile: 512-569-9461