Re: Optimizing Postgresql server and FreeBSD for heavy read and writes

От Ivan Voras
Тема Re: Optimizing Postgresql server and FreeBSD for heavy read and writes
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 4 February 2010 10:02, Amitabh Kant <amitabhkant@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 10:05 PM, Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 02/03/10 16:10, Amitabh Kant wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> I have a server dedicated for Postgres with the following specs:
>>>
>>> RAM 16GB, 146GB SAS (15K) x 4 -  RAID 10 with BBU, Dual Xeon  E5345  @
>>> 2.33GHz
>>> OS: FreeBSD 8.0
>>
>> If you really do have "heavy read and write" load on the server, nothing
>> will save you from the bottleneck of having only 4 drives in the system (or
>> more accurately: adding more memory will help reads but nothing helps writes
>> except more drivers or faster (SSD) drives). If you can, add another 2
>> drives in RAID 1 and move+symlink the pg_xlog directory to the new array.
>
> Can't do anything about this server now, but would surely keep in mind
> before upgrading other servers. Would you recommend the same speed
> drives(15K SAS) for RAID 1, or would a slower drive also work here (10K SAS
> or even SATA II)?

Again, it depends on your load. It would probably be best if they are
approximately the same speed; the location of pg_xlog will dictate
your write (UPDATE / INSERT / CREATE) speed.

Writes to your database go like this: the data is first written to the
WAL (this is the pg_xlog directory - the transaction log), then it is
read and written to the "main" database. If the main database is very
busy reading, transfers from WAL to the database will be slower.

Сообщение: Re: Optimizing Postgresql server and FreeBSD for heavy read and writes
Сообщение: Re: Optimizing Postgresql server and FreeBSD for heavy read and writes