Re: Making background psql nicer to use in tap tests

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Making background psql nicer to use in tap tests
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 2023-04-07 Fr 09:32, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
On 5 Apr 2023, at 23:44, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:

Unless there are objections I plan to get this in before the freeze, in order
to have better interactive tests starting with 16.  With a little bit of
documentation polish I think it's ready.
When looking at the CFBot failure on Linux and Windows (not on macOS) I noticed
that it was down to the instance lacking IO::Pty.

[19:59:12.609](1.606s) ok 1 - scram_iterations in server side ROLE
Can't locate IO/Pty.pm in @INC (you may need to install the IO::Pty module) (@INC contains: /tmp/cirrus-ci-build/src/test/perl /tmp/cirrus-ci-build/src/test/authentication /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/i386-linux-gnu/perl/5.32.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.32.1 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/perl5/5.32 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/perl/5.32 /usr/share/perl/5.32 /usr/local/lib/site_perl) at /usr/share/perl5/IPC/Run.pm line 1828.

Skimming the VM creation [0] it seems like it should be though?  On macOS the
module is installed inside Cirrus and the test runs fine.

I don't think we should go ahead with a patch that refactors interactive_psql
only to SKIP over it in CI (which is what the tab_completion test does now), so
let's wait until we have that sorted before going ahead.

It should probably be added to config/check_modules.pl if we're going to use it, but it seems to be missing for Strawberry Perl and msys/ucrt64 perl and I'm not sure how easy it will be to add there. It would certainly add an installation burden for test instances at the very least.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan