Re: 7.3.8 under FC3 takes excessive semaphores?

От Mark Cave-Ayland
Тема Re: 7.3.8 under FC3 takes excessive semaphores?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

(cut)

> Judging by the symptoms, you have built a version with what
> we now call --disable-spinlocks; that is, it didn't figure
> out how to do assembly TAS on your platform and fell back to
> using SysV semaphores for spinlocks. Quite aside from the
> drain on semaphores, the performance is going to be
> spectacularly bad, so you'd better fix that.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Hi Tom,

I'd just about managed to come to the same conclusion before your email
arrived by spending the afternoon with gdb tracing into the LWLock code :)

I've just installed 7.4.6 on the same box and this time the spinlocks are
correctly picked up and everything works as expected. I think rather than
fixing the 7.3.x source, we'll take the plunge and plan for a complete dump
and restore of the database cluster over a weekend.

Many thanks,

Mark.

WebBased Ltd
South West Technology Centre